Friday, July 10, 2009

Captains Blog Sea Date July 10, 2009

Captains Blog Sea Date July,10, 2009
Current Position: Lat. 21.50 Long. 141.49
Miles travailed in 24 hours: 190NM
Distance to go: 896 NM
Average boat Speed: 7.9k
wind: NNE 12k
Water temp: 82.0 F

Wow so yesterday was a busy, on edge type of day. I got off watch at at 1500 wrote the bog and laid in my bunk, Chase came down to wake me up. Richard and he wanted me to have a look at a squall line ahead of us, yep it was a squall line. i told them to try and hold our course, but to fall off if it got to be to much. That squall line was not to bad, but it set the tone for the rest of the evening. a few hours latter, after dinner, Mom and Richard were on watch, Mike was on deck getting ready to relive Richard when we took a round up. it was a sad moment in time watching the quilt kite take its last flogging. i must say she went quietly and with out a fight. if you were not looking at the kite you would have never know that she had blown out. We worked quickly, mike got on the foredeck and spiked the pole while mom was on the helm and Richard and i hulled her down below. Richard grabbed one of the new Sobstad's, and we went up with that one. it went pretty smooth, we didn't even wake Chase up.
Mike and my mom sailed for about 2 hours with that kite, they went through a few squalls and took a few knock downs, but were doing pretty good for awhile. when i came on deck to relive my Mom, the wind had picked up and i counted 5 squalls coming down on us. i don't think we had the kite set up right, or it was not the right kite for our wind and course, because it made a lot of noise, i mean on top of it being new sure, but the foot made a lot of noise. there for it got the name Opu Wala'au, roughly translated to belly talks to much. After a few more round ups, the sound of the rig shuttering, the noise of the spinnaker piercing my brain, and my mother standing in the companionway ringing her hands, it was time to try a different sail. So we got out the black, red and white spin (still have a name for that one), Mike got on the bow, mom was in the pit, i was at the helm and Richard was pole and sheet. that change out went off with out a hitch. we must be really good because Chase slept through that one too.
it took some time to find our groove but it all worked out very well. I got relived from my watch by Richard, about two hours latter Chase and Richard took a little round up, when Chase got the boat back on course the final snap of the kite filling blew the sheet shackle off the kite. Mom was half dressed to go on watch, Mike flew out of his bunk, Richard and Chase were already on deck so i sat in the hatch way while the crew worked out the situation. it went something like this, Mike took the blown sheet attached to the pole clue, blew the after guy, mom dropped the spin on deck while Richard hulled down on the new sheet/after guy, Mike acted like a human spin bag, all the lines got reattached properly, and back up it went. something like that. I have to say what a good job Mike did on the foredeck last night, there were no screw ups, and that's a good thing. Chase did a good job on the helm too, he is still learning and does not get pissy when i take the helm for an hour and a half at a time.
This morning Mike asked if he could fish, he said he really wanted to beat something to death. i can definitely get behind that, but i don't care to do the clean up. i told him so long as he did all the work he could kill any fish he wanted. So we put out my pink and white with a sunrise inner skirt double hook lure my big brother Phillip, the fish whisper, made for me. i guess it had been out for about 5 hours then we got a strike!!! Mike pulled in a whopper of a Mahi Mahi. he is calling full four and a half pounder. as my mom said there is something to be said for a fish that try's to eat a hook that is a little more then half the size of its body. after Mike cleaned the fish all the meat could have fit in a sandwich size zip lock. we are stoked, it is the perfect size for us to have for dinner.
I think that is all we have for now. From here on out i will be posting at the top of the blog distance to go. that is how many mile we have to sail till we get to our party. keep an eye on that mile count down, it will help you to prepare the things you might want to bring to the party. oh i don't know, things like a bottle of booze you might want to suck down the
luge, or a few leis. don't bother with food we've got that covered. the party is at the WYC there will be more info to come. if you would like to help set up please give Julie Downes a call, her number is on the comments list somewhere. cool beans. LA

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

9 comments:

  1. Aloha......Coming into the HOME stretch...
    Partay is getting close and by Sunday we will have a pretty good idea of what is what...
    I will be down at the Waikiki Yacht Club "PROMPTLY" at noon SUNDAY to bring in goodies for the PAPAPAPARRTAYYYY... any help would be once again appreciated...
    Yes.. please bring what you'd like to drink down the LUGE' as for food we have some what most of it covered HOW EVER ... it would "appreciated" and "welcomed" if you'd like to bring your FAVORITE dish or PUPU or Desert..
    as I think this is going to be a pretty ....ahhh well it's going to BE A ROCKIN' PARTY ......... So please ignore Lindsey haha and bring a dish or booze for Da Luge'
    She's at sea and has not a clue what's going to be the happ's for this party... We are planning a good one and anticipating a few peeps...

    Downtown Julie Downes and Ben Da' Magic man

    681-1160
    330-5424
    If no answer leave your name and NUMBER and say it slow.. I am blonde and when you rattle your number off like your on your way to the moon... it no worky for me!!

    GET IN ON ADDICTION we are waiting for yah...

    OH YEAH and flowers flowers flowers

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant GET IT ON ADDICTION....

    Lindsey .... I am just teasing when I say ignore you OK... we miss YOU ALL....
    and will be happy to see your loving faces...
    This is going to be a great PARTY and Ben has had my back threw it all..... I truly think I would have had to move off Island if I didn't have his help.... He not only Da' man ... He Da MAGIC MAN... Ben Merritt for Govenor

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum fresh fish!! T'ama Maitai!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey guys...it was a fun race tonight. Runaway made first place for Spinnaker! woo hoo. Then the Nav Race happened. At the yacht club people were calling shenanigans when gerontius "won" because apparently they never went around diamond head...typical yacht club gossip. Demasida ran aground in the channel, but they finally got off alright (I think....I'd had a couple pitchers at that point!) Everyone is excited because Alfa Romeo is coming in tonight....12:30ish. Can't wait for your return! we are looking forward to it! Julie has a killer party planned! Sail hard and fast...watch out for those squalls!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi girls and boys,
    I enjoy following your adventure. Of course Little Mike does a great job on the foredeck, with his crazy crackhead strength. Although I remember he does a good job as a boom break too. If you receive this comment while you re still out, let Mike read it, it will make him want to beat something to death, and since I m not there, it will keep you guys fed with fresh fish until you get home.
    Sail fast
    J

    ReplyDelete
  6. Watching the standings from my computer in Long Beach this year and reading your blog, Lindsey has been so much fun! I'm glad I'm retired and not tired anymore from teaching first graders, because I've been an "office chair racer" since your start, and actually my butt is sore from sitting most of the day away and I've put on some pounds from munching while reading all the Facebook and Transpac blogs and staying up till wee hours in the AM. I got to see all the starts, 2 on the water, and yours from the bluff above the water at Pt. Fermin Light House. Got lots of great shots on the clear warm days. Your start was quite hazy, but I've seen some good pics from others. Your ride sounds quite fun and busy, no more ZZZZZZZ... moments for you all! The party is going to AWSOME Go Girls and Guys. Aloha, Cathy Schneider SYCLB...BTW I heard there were tacos to eat last TUES. for Taco Tuesday! Didn't help you any, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,
    I got a call from Bill Meyers this morning and now the excitement has really for real set in!! Wednesday morning I will need your HELP AT THE WAIKIKI YACHT CLUB NO LATER THAN 8AM....
    WE ARE GOING TO RALLY AT THAT TIME... AND GET EVERYHTING SET UP FOR THE ARRIVAL OF "ADDICTION CREW"~~~ Lindsey Donna Richard Mike Chase....... WE WILL BE WAITING FOR YOU!!
    681-1160 hm
    330-5424 cell

    I work Saturday. Sunday night and Wednesday noon until about 9ishpm
    So call me in the am @ 681-1160 or leave a message with your name and phone number on either numbers AND I WILL GET BACK TO YOU!!!
    Bill will be calling me every morning with an update and I will pass it along!!

    DOWNTOWN Julie Downes
    Ben Da Magic Man
    and all the rest of the friends of ADICTION

    ReplyDelete
  8. I meant Saturday Sunday and MONDAY at NOON and Tuesday night!
    Sheesh got way to much going on here not to sure if I'm coming or going!!
    JUST CALL ME!!!
    Julie 681-1160 + 330-5424

    ReplyDelete
  9. Unless your pace changes dramatically, I will have to be on radio at Diamond Head Light soon after you finish. My relevant shift is 1200-1800 on 7/15. I want to be there to welcome you home and it will seriously suck to be stuck at the Light while you all get to carry on at the Party of the Century. "No - no no, Valerie, it is NOT about you!!!"
    Sail fast - sail safe - see you very soon! I am so stoked for you all. Aloha piha!!!

    ReplyDelete