Thursday, June 11, 2009

Where Is Addiction?

Alright, my mom and I arrived here in Long Beach on the 8th. I phoned my Load a Boat guy to make sure we were still on schedule to have Addiction delivered to the Marina boat yard first thing on the 10th, he said that they were having some delays with other boats, that a truck was held up in Arizona, but that he might have another driver available to drop off my boat on the 10th.

I didn't hear back from him till mid day, the day of delivery, while waiting in the yard. Turns out there was some jam up in LA and the driver wasn't going to make it till first thing in the morning. Hey OK, that's life, hurry up and wait, fine.

So the morning of the 11th I find myself waiting at the shipyard at 7:30am....... Some peoples first thing in the morning and my first thing in the morning are two different things. Ten o'clock rolls around, my phone rings, yes, I think its the driver wanting directions, NO, its my Load a Boat guy. It turns out the driver got to the LA yard after closing yesterday, so they were going to off load that boat right then, then the driver was going to shoot down to San Diego, pick up Addiction, and be at my yard at around 3pm. (A half hour after closing).

Lucky for me everyone at the Marina shipyard are the nicest people, and have been very helpful with everything. I have also met a few people from around the harbor that followed the 2007 Transpac and are more then willing to lend a hand. Duncan Harrison, Rick Ross and I made a plan to meet at around 3 to start unpacking the mast and getting a few thing done around the boat that we could.

What do you know, my mom and I once again find ourselves sitting at the yard at 6 o'clock staring at an empty space were Addiction should be resting.

You cant sit in a shipyard and stair at nothing all night, so we left and went back to New Port were we are staying. We got showered, changed, meet up with some family and friends, and went out for a nice dinner.

9 o'clock strikes and my phone rings, it's the truck driver, ( first time I have ever spoken to him) he's in San Diego, he is with Addiction............BUT, apparently the brakes on the trailer have gone out, don't work, can't be driven, some shit, I don't know, and he has to wait for a mechanic to come look at them first thing in the morning (we know how that goes). He said if it all works out he could be at my shipyard by noon Friday.

For all I know, at this point Addiction could be parked in front of a Denny's in Mississippi with the trailer on blocks. Who knows? We'll all just have to wait and see.

3 comments:

  1. Aloha. You are in my prayers! Patience is a virtue!? God Bless you and the whole project.
    a hui hou, Chaplain Bill and Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you speedy winds and a smooth bottom! see yas in HI soon. -Nav

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lindsey,

    This is Dan Kelly, aspiring Transpac 2009 documenter. Christin mentioned you are asking around to get me on boat. Thanks for that! If you're not too busy, give a holler!
    anything at artisthouse dot com

    ReplyDelete